Friday, January 18, 2013

Why Mental Health and Gun Control Bothers Me

It is really too bad that mental health is headlining in the media in the context of gun control. I think this sends some bad messages:

1.) Crazy people kill people and therefore should not be trusted with guns.

2.)If you are seeking treatment for mental illness, we're not really going to protect your records, we're gonna put them in a background check.

3.) We only care enough about mental health to do something to make care more accessible when something really horrendous happens. If crazy people aren't committing crimes we don't care.

This is why I'm so upset every time the talking head on TV discusses new gun control measures and mental health. I feel discriminated against and judged simply because my brain is wired differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback!