Monday, September 29, 2014

Saturdays in Redneckville: A Sunday Hike

Like any blogger who is convinced they can become famous, I try to drive traffic to my blog by reading and commenting on other blogs. I'm not sure it works, but I have come across some blogs that I really enjoy and have begun reading regularly (because as a full time mother, full time failing housewife, and part time fabric store employee I totally have hours to waste devote to reading blogs online for the sheer enjoyment of it). One of the blogs I have become addicted to is Tilting at Windmills authored by CWMartin. He regularly writes about walks he takes with his dog, Scrappy, complete with pictures. One of these posts inspired me to take a hike as a family. Lucky for me the Seahawks had a bye week and Larch and I both have Sundays off. I told Larch I wanted to go for a hike, but I wanted a trail or a road or something to walk on because I am a wimp and smart money says at least one of us will be carrying at least one of the children at least part way back to the car. He thought about it, and picked probably the most awesome last minute destination ever.



We drove for an hour, maybe more, I was distracted by the view.

On any good hike, we start with food.


This is not a no trespassing gate. This is a keep the motorized vehicles out gate. My son pointed out that someone just drove their four wheeler around the gate. 


Lily never wants to hold Daddy's hand.


This was about a half mile in.


According to Larch, these are hallucinogenic. I will take his word for it as they also contain arsenic. 



This is blurry, but it is a really old wheelbarrow. This is how we knew we were getting close to our final destination.


Old Mine shack/shaft. Well played husband.

So what does any good North Idaho family do?


 We get closer...


and closer...


and look inside.



And we go around and find another building. We think it was an office, living space, or MAYBE a secondary entrance.


See...Daddy has to carry Lily at least some of the time.



You can't tell from this picture, but we think this is the remains of a cooking stove.


It's hunting season, so we make our dog wear an orange vest.


Still carrying Lily.


That blue out there between the close mountains and the far mountains, is Lake Pend Oreille.

While I was busy taking picture of the distant lake, the kids were doing this...


We ended the day at Superman and Lois Lane's. Superman and Larch brewed some beer that should be ready around Halloween, while we watched movies and the kids played in the dirt. And Johnny lost another tooth.

He could be a Jack O'Lantern for Halloween this year. Or a cage fighter.

2 comments:

  1. Now I am jealous! That would be so neat to run into something like that mine on a hike! Closest we came was when we went to Turkey Foot and I found that grave in the middle of the woods. I am always fascinated by finding what has gone before... and thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband found the mine while hunting last year. He keeps these things as little secrets so he can treat the kids. And you are most welcome, I really do look forward to reading what you have written at the end of a long shift cutting fabric.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback!